Tuesday, March 25, 2008

The Paradox of Internet Communication

Technology allows us to communicate with people around the world, yet it is isolating us from one another. The internet is a powerful tool, able to bring the world directly to us. Because we can now experience the world in a virtual form, we have become less likely to venture out into the real world. Detachment is becoming a way of life.

I, for one, am tired of having my most meaningful conversations with a computer. Text based communication has become increasingly pervasive and is eroding our ability to interact face to face. I have personally witnessed an instant message sent between roommates while they were in the same apartment; People sitting next to each other in the back seat of a car conversing via text message. I acknowledge that people are still communicating, possibly more so than in the past, but their method of communication is causing social skills to atrophy. This has been exacerbated by the use of social networking sites; to make new friends one must simply click a button. I suppose that this level of attachment shields us from the pain of rejection, but it also diminishes the positive emotions associated with friendship.

I implore you… GO OUT AND TALK TO SOMEONE! Sit down and have a conversation. I promise that you will experience something that you can’t get sitting in front of a computer screen. REAL HUMAN CONTACT.

I am well aware of the irony of using a blog to lament the digitization of humanity. In an attempt to absolve myself from complete hypocrisy, I’ve decide to draft this blog in a diner. I even went so far as to have 2 girls in the booth next to me read over my draft. They approved. I close by reminding you, we may live in a digital world but it is still populated by humans.

2 comments:

Roxy said...

Perhaps it is technology to blame for my social ineptitude but I'm finding it a lot easier and effective to communicate textually. Not only do I have more time to construct a more thoughtful or witty response, but I'm usually able to express myself much more clearly and eloquently. In verbal communication, I stumble over my words, express my thoughts illogically and incoherently, as my mind is unable to zone in on one thought at a time when holding conversation. It's one of my deepest insecurities. Which is why I write in the first place. I know I'm not the only one with this problem!

But I do get what you're saying.

Caitlin said...

I further cite that Matt will answer my text before my phone call.